Saturday, February 19, 2005

I Miss You Dad

Dear Dad,

I have been thinking about you all day and I still miss you. It has been eleven years and still, I miss you.

I can remember the events of that day so vividly, as if it unfolded in slow-motion. The death of a parent is one of those "milestone" moments in a child's life. At some level, we must realize fairly young that we will probably bury our parents. Until it happens however, it is just an intellectual knowing and it doesn't hurt.

You seem to be getting smarter to me every year. I can still hear your voice at times--especially, your infectious laughter. I miss the time we used to spend at the end of the work day, talking about all the odd interests we shared. History and technology, space and extra terrestrials, politics and taxes. I recall your frequent statement that there was going to be some very cool shit developed in the next 100 years and you wished you could be around to see it.

Well, I wish you were around too! This has been a tough eleven years. So much death and change. I have tried to take care of things. Sometimes, I wish you had been able call you and get a little advice. Seems like at the point in my life when I was willing to really listen and even seek out your council, you were gone.

No comments: