Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Week of R&B (Rice and Beans) Begins

    The First Batch
  • So why beans and rice for a week? And What is the purpose of this anyway?
On Saturday, Nov 2, 2013 - I was looking for some way to kill some time because the power in our neighborhood had browned out. After running errands and visiting family, I was driving South on M24 and drove by Kensington Community Church - Orion campus. I have been to Kensington in Troy may times over the years. Even though they and I have some big differences around issues like LGBT folks and women in ministry, I appreciate their commitment to God, Outreach and to service. I always take something home when I visit.
At the beginning of this particular service lead pastor, Dave Wilson, was talking about the three week series of lessons that would start the following weekend, Nov 9 & 10, entitled, "Rice & Beans." He talked about how approximately one thirs of the people on our planet live on a sustenance diet, such as rice and beans. 

The basic idea is that one the first week, the pastors would call the church members to eat rice & bean for breakfast, lunch and dinner and track what they would have normally spent on groceries and eating out. Whatever they saved by eating rice and beans will be collected on weekend #2 of the series and the proceeds would be used to support 10 initiatives that Kensington has going, local and global, to make a difference in the lives of God's people. 

The three ideas that hooked me into participating:
  1. This is not about digging deeper so we can give more. This is about shifting how we live so we can do something to make a difference in our world. WOW! I have heard the "dig deeper please" pitch and frankly I have made that pitch many times. My brain was exploding with the idea of shifting how I live, even for a short time, to make a difference.
  2. The journey we are on is a shift from charity to compassion. This really touched me in that we are gearing up for shelter week #4 next weekend and I immediately made the connection about shifting from charity to compassion. That place insides that is not trying to help the nice homeless people, but sharing part of the journey with them.
  3. The invitation to do this week "in community." To tweet and FAcebook and Instagram and talk about this on Social Media and in small groups. 
So I began the seven days of eating rice & beans for every meal. We were told we can add items we already had on hand, and I have added some cheese and salsa a couple of times, however I am following the very basic rice and beans for the most part.

I have two events during this time that are dinners, so I will add two additional evenings of rice and beans next week.

This is a spiritual journey for me. I intend to be very introspective so that I might "hear" God's guidance and direction.

I am not sure what I will do with the money I save from not buying all the stuff I usually buy and from the meals I will not eat in restaurants. Spirit will let me know what to do at the proper time. There are plenty pf places that can use a few dollars to feed, house and clothe people.

Always in Love!

Ric






(c) 2013 by Richard L. Beattie



No comments: