Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The First Tough Night

Dion called me early this morning to tell me that mom had a rough night last night. Mom is weaker and last night was her fifth night without dialysis.

On Monday the nurse had told me that because of mom's renal failure that things could probably progress  quickly. The body is unable to deal with the waste products and they build up in the system. What I know is that my mother will pass right on time.

Mom has seemed more at peace than anytime in the last two years. She's also been enjoying eating many of the things that she hasn't been able to eat such as a hot fudge sundae and having a glass of milk with a sandwich. In some ways her appetite has been better than it has been for a while.

My task has been to keep my mind in the moment. Not projecting what I think comes next, being present to what is here and now. I'm grateful for the tools of the work in the way that modality is alive in me.

I'll go out to see mom after work today.

4 comments:

Swimwear seamstress said...

You and your family are being lifted in prayer. Enjoy these days with your mom as a new chapter is being formed....we love you!!!

Merri Busch said...

Love, light and heart filled wishes for you and the family...

Swimwear seamstress said...

You and your family are being lifted in prayer. Enjoy these days with your mom as a new chapter is being formed....we love you!!!

Judy Muhn said...

Prayers are always with you - you know that. You also know that you aren't alone. And you know that in the Infinite, you will always have your mom with you. However, that doesn't negate that loving also means that the transition is hard as our love has to transform, mourn and seek new ways to be.....and comfort. May you be comforted in the knowing that you all aren't alone in the process of this transition and the grief. Much love and many hugs, Judy