Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks - Day 1


Today is Thanksgiving Day and my fifty-seventh birthday. A year ago this month my friend and teacher, Martha Creek, asked the question in the picture to the right and challenged our church to adopt the spiritual practice of keeping a gratitude journal for at least 21 days . The assignment was  to write down at least 10 things each day that we were grateful for without repeating any item.

I followed the assignment and kept such a journal for many weeks and then stopped in January of this year. No clue why I stopped however, I am guided to begin this practice again. I know that I always find what I look for and I am looking for joy, peace & bliss!


  1. I am thankful that 57 years ago today, my mother gave birth to this body that I use as an Earth Suit.
  2. I am grateful for the 38th annual Community Thanksgiving Dinner at Renaissance Unity. It is my joy to lead this effort for the past several years.
  3. I am grateful for Rev. Karen Boland who started the dinner after noticing how many others were eating dinner in a restaurant alone.
  4. I am grateful for my mom's release from the hospital Yesterday after a week of testing, prodding and more tests.
  5. I am grateful that after many years in manufacturing, Spirit guided me toward full time ministry which is hardly work at all.
  6. I am grateful for a warm house to wake up in this morning.
  7. I am grateful for the Michigan Thanksgiving Parade.
  8. I am grateful for my incredible family, just as we are.
  9. I am grateful for Martha Creek, who shares so much with so many.
  10. I give thanks for the Loving Spirit that is my Life and for this awesome journey of awakening and expanding awareness.

No comments: