Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Thirteen Days of Living Thanks

Esther Karvala Ledger
Today, I am thinking about some of the gifts I received from my Grandma Ledger who was born 102 years ago today in Upper Michigan. Grandma, thanks for:

  1. An incredible inquisitive spirit.
  2. Your unconditional acceptance, you were the first family member beyond mom and dad who knew I was gay.
  3. Teaching me how to make your stuffing.
  4. Salad Dressing Cake with Coffee Frosting
  5. Oatmeal Squares
  6. Your patience at having all of your grand kids over to decorate sugar cookies
  7. Pasties and meat pies
  8. Home made Bismarks
  9. Being curiouser and curiouser
  10. Many Christmas eves spent with you prepping Christmas dinner.
  11. Countless hours spent together in the kitchen.
  12. You once told me you wished more people could see God in everything like I did.
  13. Interesting stories of your growing up in Iron River, actually Stambaugh and the surrounding areas like Beachwood.
  14. Sharing the last few years of your life with me.
  15. Your stubborn, iron will which allowed you to live your own way.
  16. Helping me take care of Grandpa Miller.
  17. Always making me feel special.
  18. Your love of the underdog.
  19. Never holding it against me when I failed you.
  20. Visiting me in Ventura, which meant taking your first plane trip in your 70's
  21. So much more lives in my heart ...

No comments: