Tuesday, November 15, 2011

From Pity Party to Gratitude - Day 9


Giving Thanks in All Things

My story this morning: I don't have time to walk, I have a full day of important meetings, I need to get to work early.

Reality: The water pump on my car has been failing for about two  weeks and I had been hoping to make it to payday (the 15th) updated to hoping to get to Friday so that I didn't need the car and could put it in the shop.  In a stroke of Divine Order, today is payday and the water pump failed. I got the car to the garage and walked home. Coincidence? I live in a friendly universe that conspires to help me love myself. 

When the mechanic called me this afternoon with the estimate of more than $500 (Chrysler connects the water pump to the timing belt) , I had a pity party. Perhaps some of you can relate maybe to the story: Why me? Why now. Why after all the money I had to put into my teeth the last two months and the roof on the cabin two weeks ago. I am a minister, don't you know I need the car for God's work? Why? Why? 

Fortunately, I stopped short of inviting others to my party. As the belief "my car shouldn't break down now" flooded my mind I found another set of questions rising up:
  1.  Is it true?
  2. Can you absolutely know that it's true?
  3. How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? 
  4. Who would you be without the thought?
Deep breath and the sanity and peace are restored as I used The Work of Byron Katie  to question my belief that the car shouldn't break down. Afterward   I got so much done, walked, did laundry and created a plan for getting to work tomorrow. 

I found many reasons to be grateful as well:
  1. I had the opportunity to walk home which took 59 minutes and my goal is to walk an hour every day.
  2. I have the funds to pay for the repair.
  3. I was not far away from home when the failure occurred.
  4. I have prior satisfactory history with the mechanic.
  5. Got some housework done.
  6. Was able to complete paperwork from my brother's case worker
  7. Two friends stepped forward to give me a lift to work tomorrow.
  8. Another friend committed to taking me home after work
  9. Another friend called to see if I needed a hand or a loan
  10. The experience has been useful as a teaching opportunity
  11. Part of a larger demonstration of having my needs met this year.


Copyright (c) 2011 by Richard L. Beattie, all rights reserved

No comments: