Monday, December 16, 2019

Day 23 - I Give Thanks For ...

My current gratitude practice is to share at least 10 things for which I am grateful for each day without repetition.

Today, I give thanks for:

  1. Discovering this meme about everyday magic being the result of seeing everything through the eyes of love. The spiritual practice I invited our community to consider this week was looking at every person and situation this week through the eyes of love.
  2. My podiatrist, Dr. John, who has taken care of my feet for many years.
  3. Lake Orion, Michigan which is where I grew up and went to school. I am referring to both the Village of Lake Orion and the larger Orion Township of which the village is a part.
  4. Taking a drive out Central Dr. in Lake Orion, an area called Swiss Village where we lived as I came into teenage years and puberty.
  5. Memories of sleeping out in the woods with my best friend at the time.
  6. Memories of skinny dipping at night out of boats especially the night of July 20, 1969. About five of us were swimming and we had thrown our jeans in the boat. Someone turned the boat over trying to climb in and I dive for the clothes. Fortunately, I got them. We got into the house just in time to watch Neil Armstrong take the first steps on the moon.
  7. Memories of my first sexual experiences which involved sleepovers and sleeping out.
  8. Remembering the people who lived in most of the houses back in 1970.
  9. The lake (Lake Orion) after which the township and village are named. We seemed to usually find houses to rent on the lake. 
  10. Finding a 15-pound Rib Roast for Christmas dinner at Costco.
  11.  A pot of "Boiled Dinner" (which is what my Grandma Ledger called it) cooking on the stove. It's soup made from the end of a ham preferably with the bone, cabbage, carrots, onion, celery, and potatoes. I substitute rutabaga for the potato. Then it cooks quite a while.
  12. An afternoon in Lake Orion which stirred up the memories and the stories of my childhood, my mom and her parents, my Aunt Donna & Uncle Joe and so many others.

Always with Love,
Ric

No comments: